Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Clock and Decoupage Tutorial

I was given this clock kit by a friend that was moving and cleaning out their supplies, it measures about 6" in diameter, so I picked my images and made them about 1" in size.  To color and cut these little sweeties out, I used magnifier glasses, something I am having to resort to for tiny work now.  Ahh, the joys of growing older, but it really did help me to still do the shading and stay in the lines on such tiny images.  I also did a test picture that I had colored with copics and wanted to make sure that it was save to use Mod Podge to adhere to my clock without ruining my images.  The pictures don't do the clock justice, with the shine from the light on the decoupage.



Inside of kit

Color all your images.  I chose my light source coming from the same direction on all my images.


Using a craft blade and cutting mat cut out the larger inner pieces of the images as close as possible.  On the straight lines like the fishing line I had to leave a little bit of white for stability.  We will hide that later by using a marker that matches your background paper.


Cut out all of your images.


Just a pic to show you the size of the images.  Roughly about 1" in height.


I chose a neutral colored background for my clock face.

Using the plastic face of the clock from the kit, draw around the outside of the clock and the center with a pencil onto the backside of your paper.    Cut out.

An image of the clock face and the paper cut out.  Line it up and make sure you don't need to do any additional trimming.

Using Mod Podge and a sponge brush add a layer of Mod Podge to the clock front and add the paper.  Let semi-dry and place another layer of Mod Podge over the front of the paper.  You may have slight wrinkles (as indicated by the pink arrow) but not big bubbles.  This will smooth out with the layers of additional Mod Podge added later.

Once the Mod Podge has dried add the images you have chosen for the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions on the clock.  By placing these images first it will provide even spacing for the remaining clock positions.  I also tried to make sure I didn't have two images that were colored the same colors next to each other so that the eye wasn't draw to just one side of the clock.  Place a thin layer of Mod Podge under each clock position and add the images.  Let it semi-dry and add another layer of Mod Podge over the images.  I chose images that were larger in these positions.


Once all images were placed, I put another 4 layers of Mod Podge over the clock face, letting each layer dry before the next application.  You should do as many layers of Mod Podge as needed until no rough edges from the images can be felt.  After the Mod Podge is completely dry I added the sentiment with Staz On Jet Black ink.

Next follow the instruction on the clock kit and assemble your clock.  My kit is able to hang on the wall or use the stand as I have shown in the picture.

As the images are so small, I decided to show you a closer view (11 to 1)

(2 to 4)


(5 to 7)


(8 to 10)




Based on the position of the clock the images I used are:
Seven - Cute Chicks
Eleven - Nurse Gillian
Twelve - Gilly's Bike

In the new year, I joined a few individuals who decided to do a pay it forward make something for others group on facebook.  This is the first of my pay it forward gifts.

Challenges I am entering:

No comments: